Commercial Finance Manager
£45,000-£48,000 per annum
Finance and Accounting
Our client is a leading business based in Belfast City Centre. They are currently looking for a Commercial Finance Manager to play a key role in driving profitability, growth and cash generation, ensuring compliance with Group, legal and regulatory requirements, identifying and managing of risk, and contributing to efficient business processes.
- Ensure that area and centre business and financial plans exist and that these are consistent with overall UK targets for profitability, growth and liquidity.
- Monitor (financial) performance of the relevant business area(s) against the plans and history.
- Identify divergence from plans and ensure remedial actions are in place in a timely manner.
- Provide short and medium term performance forecasts as required.
- Identify risks and opportunities to the business performance and risk assessment of planned activities and ensure structures are in place to mitigate / exploit them.
- Provide financial insight into the effects of the business plans to the management team.
- Provide decision support (including post completion reviews) for all significant investments in the business including acquisitions, new centre opening, centre closure, expansions, contractions and all significant refurbishments, ensuring that Group ROI targets are met.
- Benchmark area and centre profitability / financial performance and assist business partners with improving the financial performance of the area(s).
- Help drive cost reductions through inter alia, procurement, elimination, efficiency.
- Provision of financial training for non-Finance business partners.
- Any other reasonable ad hoc analysis.
Governance and Compliance
Governance and compliance activities are to be carried out in conjunction with Group functions such as Group Finance, Group Treasury, Shared Service centres.
- Ensure compliance with all Group policies including (inter alia) accounting policies, treasury policies, HR, Legal and business ethics policies.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant local legal and regulatory.
- Ensure processes are in place to make local management and employees are aware of and comply with Group policies as relevant to their role. Support the business in rolling out new / updated policies to the relevant business area(s).
- Identify all conflicts between Group policies and local legal and regulatory requirements, and communicate accordingly.
- Assist with identifying, developing and implementing system and procedural changes focused on process improvement, best practices or improved profitability, and actively participate in related projects.
- In conjunction with the Commercial Financial Controller, review and approve variable rent building owner reports and payments.
Note that the Commercial Finance Manager is not expected to perform routine governance and compliance tasks, but should play a role in ensuring that they get done.
Working with the local management, proactively monitor actual or potential areas of business risk including:
- Litigation threats
- Customer risk including customer solvency, bad debts, large customer risk, reputational risk.
- Supplier risk including large supplier dependence, supplier solvency.
- Fraud and business ethics risks
- Health & Safety
Ensure all actual and potential risks identified are communicated to the Commercial Financial Controller and Commercial Finance Director. Ensure risk mitigation strategies are in place.
Business process efficiency
Contribute to business process efficiency through:
- Ensuring compliance with Group organisation and processes
- Identifying process issues and efficiency opportunities and communicating to the relevant business owners.
The Commercial Finance Manager will be expected to provide leadership within the local Finance organisation, including:
- Ensure HR People processes are completed for all direct reports.
- Provide coaching for all local Finance team members as required.
- Qualified accountant with at least 5 years PQE
- Knowledge of HFM / Hyperion Planning or similar.
- Strong Excel and financial modelling skills
- Excellent accounting skills and commercial acumen.
- Strong financial modelling skills and knowledge of modelling systems.
- Self confident individual, with sufficient gravitas and experience to command the respect of senior managers within the organisation.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to present to senior managers / area teams.
- Enquiring mind – strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritise, organise and complete various duties simultaneously.
- Attention to detail.
- Self starter - works proactively with minimum supervision.